L551 - Waymouth

This blog is the home of my Fall L551 class.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Course Quest 1

Course Quest #1

Essential Questions:
  • How can windpower be harnessed to offset the cost of utilities?

  • What are the costs of attempting to harness windpower?

Guiding Questions:
  • What’s the average lifespan of windmills?

  • What types of windmills are people in and around Indiana using?

  • What’s the average output of such devices?  Based upon this average what can a person living in northern Indiana expect to profit financially from using a windmill?

  • Is it possible for a person to completely power their home through windpower?

2 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger TMJ said...

Ben,
I know of course there is a practical reason for having a windmill, but I assumed that they were used mostly today as a lawn ornament! :) I am anxious to learn more about them and I shall travel along on your blog journey to discover more about the practical uses of windmills. I especially am curious about how much money it saves the average electrical consumer!
Tabatha

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger hlbontra said...

Hi Ben,

Your topic is intriguing, especially since we live in a relatively flat area. As I was reading your blog, I kept thinking of Dutch windmills, the Netherlands, and wooden shoes. (I spent a lot of time as a kid at my grandparent's house in Holland, MI.) I wondered why the windmill is so strongly associated with that part of the world, and if the windmill is still a significant part of that culture today. Or is this just a stereotype, touristy thing? Just curious if you were going to address this in your project.

Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home