L551 - Waymouth

This blog is the home of my Fall L551 class.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Weaving Continued

Inside the AWEA’s Small Wind page I was able to really zero in on the questions I set out to initially answer.  Funny but I ended up answering the guiding questions on the way to answering the larger essential questions.  

After gaining an understanding of big commercial picture via the Vesta website I wanted to explore the smaller more grass roots picture.  I was pleased to find all the information I was looking for.  

From the link “Communications Toolbox” I was able to gather detailed answers to my some of my guided questions.  
  • The average life span of wind turbines is 30 years, provided optimal conditions and service.    

  • It’s not possible for someone to completely power their home using a wind turbine.  The obvious problem, what if it was a calm day?  You couldn’t turn the lights on that night, cook, or have warm water…duh.  Also many insurance companies won’t allow for your home to be completely utility free, meaning wind turbine power completely.

In the FAQ area of the site I was able to find powerpoint and PDF files to answer my questions.  

The more reading I did on the small wind page I gathered more insight and connections to how small wind power operations are being implemented.  I found it interesting how large and small operations share one common variable – LOCATION.  Like real estate, business, and several other fields location is crucial to maximizing your profitability.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home