L551 - Waymouth

This blog is the home of my Fall L551 class.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Wishing

My project was done in spurts. My biggest challenge was finding long periods of time to explain my work. I don’t consider myself a fluent writer especially when the tone has to be reflective. My strength was my ability to locate, find, and review the information I’d targeted. This portion of the project didn’t take me very long. Where I struggled was with the analysis of the information into writing. Too often I found myself struggling with how to express my learning. I feel I’m not alone. Many of my high school students struggle when encountering the higher levels of Blooms Taxonomy. Being in the library I often encounter the student who asks for help at this stage. Inside I’m wincing in pain as I too struggle with the “magic words” to capture the “essence”. I guess working with teens in a school for so long I’ve been conditioned to finding the answer, answering the question, and moving on. In education I feel we don’t spend tremendous amounts of time reflecting on the answer because we’re always working against the clock. The clock counts down each day, standards to cover, assessments to complete, grades to distribute, the list goes on. When forced with choosing priorities we let the reflective practices slide because we run out of time.

I’m not sure I would change my approach much with this project. I felt gathering the information up first was central to being able to do the analysis. If anything more time to complete the analysis would have aided me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home